Friday 8 May 2015

A trip to the forest

        I wake up. I am lying for a while in bed and pricking up ears. Raindrops are still striking against the window sill. What are dreary sound! It has been raining for the last weekend – which means almost five days… Half an hour later, I meet Lama in the kitchen and we are preparing breakfast together. ,,Any idea, what we can do today? I don’t want to pass another day, watching those stupid videos about cats on YouTube!” – I moan. ,,What’s wrong with you, playing cats are so funny!” – claims Lama. - ,,But we are on Kashubia, hello! Why don’t we simply go to the forest?”. She’s right. We haven’t been there, since we arrived here – it was too hot, forest cover was very dry. But today… ,, Ok, I’m going to look for a basket, and we can pick up some mushrooms!” – I say.
         Luckily, one hour later, rain is backing down. Forests are surrounding our village almost on every hand, so after five minutes of walking, we stride into it. It is a mixed forest – but pines and spruces are in majority. Kashubia is full of woods, of all kinds – greenwoods and coniferous. They grow especially on the soils, which are too hard to cultivate, because of being not fertile enough.



         I breathe in crispy, humid air. A specific, forest smell is balmy for me. ,,Look, mushrooms! Little, yellow ones – are they edible?” – asks Lama, showing me her find, growing on the moss. Of course, it is! It’s name is chanterelle (kurka in polish). It is common on polish forests, and very tasty too – fried, with scrambled eggs…
         Before we come back home, we find a lot of another mushrooms – some chanterelles, some slippery jacks (which have specific, viscid caps) and even two king boletes!



         ,,To spring up like mushrooms – it’s  probably one of the most truthful proverbs” – I mutter to myself, looking at our plenty basket.


_______

photos comes from my own


No comments:

Post a Comment